Monday, March 26, 2007

RocketCam envy

Needless to said, I did watch the second launch of Falcon I last week ... Sadly not in real time as after the abort following ignition (hats off for the quick recycle btw) I was thinking that it will take weeks before they try again 9_9 so I closed my feed and biked home. Obviously, I was quite disappointed when I got home and found out that it did after all launch ... Luckily, recordings of the live event were made available soon after (HQ video from SpaceX), and it was pretty darn cool, love these shots during staging (NasaSpacefight.com have a recent article on what happen during the flight)! This video prompted be to send an quick email to my fellow team-mates stating that when we get to making the launch vehicle for [CENSURED] we will provides similar views, so that the launch and staging can be observed. Sure, it's totally not realistic, but hey after all, this is a video game, so we can deviate a bit from our usual hardcore line :-)

Speaking of deviating, I have spend the past week working on some more R&D which we will be using on that secret project of ours, as well as for OctoberSky. Castorp cames up with the crazy idea (not so in fact) of getting ride of the panels dedicated to items casually used during a mission (such as a watch, a notebook etc ...) by having such items in external Windows that the player could call up at anytime, anywhere ... so, for example, if you wanted to see what time it is in Baikonur while you are in orbit, you will call up the appropriate floating panel which you could then leave on screen (or more to a second screen if you have such setup):

Now, the tricky part is that I'd like these floating panels to be fully compatible with the basic Orbiter panels, so that objects (such as a switch or button ...) could be placed on either without requiring to be re-coded ...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home